Kern County Public Health offers the following tips:
- Drink water even if you are not thirsty. Avoid alcohol.
- Avoid outdoor physical exertion during the hottest parts of the day. Reduce exposure to the sun from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.
- Wear a hat to cover the face and neck and loose-fitting clothing to keep cool and to protect your skin from the sun.
- Regularly check on any elderly relatives or friends who live alone.
- To prevent overheating, use cool compresses, misting, showers and baths.
- Never leave infants, children, elderly or pets in a parked car.
- Apply sunscreen (at least SPF 15) 15 minutes before venturing outdoors and re-apply at least every two hours.